Enrolling to Vote

To enrol for the first time or get back on the roll, you can enrol online at the AEC website.

You will need to provide evidence of your identity. You can use your driver's licence, Australian passport number or have someone who is enrolled confirm your identity.

It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

You are eligible to enrol if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject,
  • aged 18 years and over, and
  • have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.

If you are overseas or going overseas don't use the online form to enrol. Please see information on going overseas on the AEC Website.

Enrol to Vote at the AEC Website.

Information coutesy of the Australian Electoral Commission.